Outstanding Young Artist Award
2020 String Competition Details
COMING SOON: THIS WILL BE FINALIZED AS WE DEVELOP A COVID-19 PLAN
National Chamber Ensemble supports young talent and has
created performance opportunities for outstanding young
musicians since its inception in 2007. NCE is thrilled to
announce the 2020 Outstanding Young Artist Competition. The winner of the auditions will be
selected by a jury of distinguished musicians.
The criteria for excellence is outstanding musicianship and playing ability.
The 2020 competition is open to string players between the ages of 12 and 18 years.
The winners of the 2019 Outstanding Young Artist Competition will receive:
- 1st Place:
- A beautiful crystal award trophy,
- A $750 scholarship
- A solo performance with the National Chamber Ensemble in December.
- 2nd Place: A $300 scholarship
- 3rd Place: A $150 scholarship
- (Second and third place prize winners in addition to the first place winner may also be invited to perform at the December 14 concert.)
Rules and Procedures
1. ELIGIBILITY: Applicants between the ages of 12 - 18 years old and who are residents of Virginia, District of Columbia or Maryland can apply in strings. The National Chamber Ensemble reserves the right to accept or reject applications.
2. APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Fill out and submit the application form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or via regular mail along with the application fee to Auditions Coordinator, National Chamber Ensemble, P.O. Box 41449, Arlington, VA 22204, U.S.A.
3. THE APPLICATION FEE: The application fee is $50 and must be received by November 2020. This is not a postmark date.
The fee may be paid in one of the following forms: online using credit card or PayPal (see below), via a bank check drawn on a U.S. bank in U.S. dollars; by enclosing U.S. dollars; or by VISA or MASTERCARD. No other form of payment can be accepted.
4. AUDITION VIDEO: YouTube videos are used in the preliminary rounds. Applicants must upload their videos, indicate their titles on the application and also email links to email@example.com. Please put each movement of longer works on a separate video. Write your name, age, repertoire, and other performers’ names (including accompanists) in the description on YouTube.
THE REQUIRED RECORDED REPERTOIRE IS:
Two COMPLETE contrasting works or one movement of a classical or romantic concerto not longer than 15 minutes in length. (A short work can be added to a movement of a concerto if the total does not exceed 15 minutes.)
5. DEADLINES: The final deadline for submitting an application for a live audition is November 2020 (The application fee of $50 is non-refundable) Finalists will be notified by email or phone
6. LIVE COMPETITION: Finalists must be available Saturday, November 2020 for a live competition. The live competition will be held at Arlington Arts, 3700 S. Four Mile Run Drive, Arlington, VA. (Finals are open to the public)
7. MEMORIZATION: Solo repertoire on all instruments must be performed by memory.
8. Photography: The National Chamber Ensemble reserves the right to photograph and record the competition and performance for Public Relations purposes.
Registration Fee: $50
We accept check/money order and Credit card. See application for details.
If you wish to pay Online by Credit Card or PayPal you can do it below.
(Deadline for application and Youtube video submission): November 2020
(Finals are open to the public)
Finalists will be notified by Nov. 2020
Pay Application Fee:
or send payment by mail
(along with application)
National Chamber Ensemble
P.O. Box 41449
Arlington, VA 22204
Telephone: (703) 685-7590
Past 1st Place Recipients2015: Avery Gagliano, 13 (piano)
2016: Brandon Du, 12 (violin)
2017: Junliang Li, 15 (piano)
2018: Runa Matsushita, 13 (violin)
2019: Michael Chen, 13 (piano)